George Duckett and his brother James went into partnership in 1952 and started Harewood Lumber Traders. Their fledgling business produced building timber and fruit boxes from timber taken from the Scotsdale Road, just outside the town boundary.
Over the next 5 years their mill was relocated to the Harewood farm further out the Scotsdale Road. George’s wife Mary looked after the books, brother Richard worked in the office as well as sharpening the saws and brother-in-laws, Dick Marshall and Willy Barry worked the main saw bench. The mill was also a source of work for many local farmers.
Then, in 1957, it is understood that cleaning up operations around the mill resulted in smouldering material flaring up over night totally destroying the mill.
Try our famous "George" 30 Year Old Port, inspired by the early pioneers of Denmark.30 Year Old Port