Ducketts Mill Site History
During 1952 George Duckett and his brother James went into partnership, initially the timber was located on Scotsdale Road just outside the town boundary. It was relocated on the Harewood farm. The business was known as Harewood Lumber Traders and produced building timber and fruit boxes.
The business was a family affair with George’s wife Mary looking after the books, brother Richard working in the office and sharpening saws and brother in laws Dick Marshall and Willy Barry working the main saw bench. The mill was also a source of work for many local farmers.
The business was operating until 1957 using Karri and Jarrah timber from Mary’s block located on Harewood Road.
The mill burnt down in late 1957 with the exact date unknown. It is understood that cleaning up operations around the mill resulted in smouldering material flaring up over night totally destroying the mill.